Sunday 24 January 2016

UNDERSTANDING USES OF PREPOSITIONS IN / ON / AT (PART II)


·         at for a precise time
·         in for months, years, centuries, long periods
·         on for days and dates
*On is frequently omitted before the expressions Thuesday morning, Thuesday afternoon, etc.
·         I saw her on Xmas day.
·         He started work on Monday.
*In some varieties of English people say on the weekend and on Christmas.
·         She often goes out at night.
·         I have a meeting at 10am.
·         I don't usually work at the weekend.
·         I stay with my family at Christmas.
·         We finished the test at the same time.
Idioms
1.     at a time: He went down the steps two at a time.
2.     at last: At last, they found the answer to the question.
3.     at times: At times, she enjoys a good historical novel.
4.     in case of: In case of rain, the people will stay at home.
5.     in the beginning In the beginning, they didn't understand English.
6.     in the end: In the end, the two policemen caught the thief.
7.      in time for: I came in time for the second half of the movie.
8.     on occasion: On occasion, I enjoy a good television program.
9.     on time: He almost always gets to work on time.
10.on the spur of the moment: We decided on the spur of the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT