Tuesday 10 May 2016

PREPOSITIONS AFTER ADJECTIVES: MAIN EXAMPLES

addicted to -- She is addicted to watching TV.

afraid of -- She is afraid of speaking in public.

anxious about -- Norma is anxious about making the presentation.

bad at -- I’m terribly bad at English.

bad with – Richard is so bad with the drums!

bored of -- I am bored of doing the same old job.

capable of -- He is capable of winning a gold medal.

committed to -- She is committed to improving her English.

concerned about -- Nancy was concerned about being late.

dedicated to -- The organization is dedicated to ending poverty.

different from -- He is different from any other men I met before, he’s special (comparison with another person/element).

different to -- Life is different to me since I started my new diet (what i'ts unique to someone/something).

disappointed with -- Fiona was really disappointed with failing the exam.

excited about -- The researcher was excited about going to Africa.

famous for -- That actor is famous for being extremely weird.

full of – The concert area was full of policemen.

frightened of -- She is frightened of being alone at night.

good at -- Sarah is really good at Math.

good with -- Michael is very good with cars.

guilty of -- The banker was guilty of stealing money.

happy about (+ verb, a fact) -- He was happy about winning the lottery.

happy with (+ noun) -- She was so happy with her new car!

interested in -- She is interested in becoming a doctor.

involved in -- He was involved in making the movie.

known for -- She was known for causing problems.

married to -- She is married to a wonderful man.

nice to -- She should be nicer to her husband.

opposed to -- They are opposed to building a new road in the park.

pleased with -- I am very pleased with the restoration of my new house.

proud of -- He was proud of having completed the marathon.

remembered for -- She is remembered for protecting mountain gorillas.

responsible for -- He is responsible for causing the damage.

scared of -- Tina is scared of being alone at night.

terrified of -- The surfer is terrified of being attacked by a shark.

tired from -- She is tired from working all day (just at a specific moment).

tired of -- Margaret is tired of making dinner every night (permament/repeated situation).

similar to -- This dress is quite similar to the one I bought for my wedding.

worried about -- The hikers were worried about not having enough water.

NOW PRACTICE:
Put in the correct preposition:
1. England is famous ________ its rainy weather.
2. I'm very proud ________ my daughter, she worked very hard.
3. He isn't really interested ________ getting married.
4. Luke is very pleased ________ his exam results.
5. Unfortunately, I'm very bad ________ music, however, I’m quite good________ bikes.
6. I've been married ________ my husband for 10 years.
7. She's very excited ________ the party.
8. Julie is very different ________ her sister.
9. My niece is afraid ________ dogs.
10. A ball gown is similar ________ an evening dress.
11. What is your town famous ________?
12. It's great you got that job - you should be proud ________ yourself.
13. I'm very excited ________ buying a new computer.
14. That bike is similar ________ yours.
15. She is interested ________ jazz.
16. Are you pleased ________ your new house?
17. Lucy is extremely good ________ languages.
18. Who is James married ________?
19. English cheese is very different ________ French cheese.
20. He isn't scared ________ anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT